Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Reflecting on Easter - Part I - "Give Your Best"

Sometimes when we know a story by heart, like the Easter story, it’s easy to overlook details that go on within the story. This past week, as I’ve been reading the account of Jesus’s last week on earth several facts stood out to me that maybe you, like me, hadn’t contemplated. I’m breaking it down into a three part entry.  Here's the first part with two more to follow later in the week:  

Mark 14: 13-15:

13 So he sent two of his disciples, telling them, "Go into the city, and a man carrying a jar of water will meet you. Follow him. 14 Say to the owner of the house he enters, ‘The Teacher asks: Where is my guest room, where I may eat the Passover with my disciples?’ 15 He will show you a large room upstairs, furnished and ready. Make preparations for us there."

Who were these two, the water toting man and the owner of the house? Random people that bear no significance? Not really. The man with the jar of water was the disciples’ guide, taking them to the right place. Jesus told his disciples to "follow him." I’ve often needed a set of eyes to point the way when I didn’t know where to go! And the homeowner is also more significant than we give him credit for. The key phrase in identifying the man is his house was "furnished and ready." Ready for what? Ready to host a most significant event in our Christian faith, the last supper of Christ and his disciples. The setting in the upper room was made ready by a man that we never learn anything about, except that he was ready to serve. 

Years ago, I walked into our church building in Louisiana on a Thursday afternoon and heard the sanctuary organ playing. I’d thought that I was the only one in the building, so hearing the organ playing was surprising.   I walked into the sanctuary, finding our regular organist playing to an empty room. Miss Aziele was a lady well into her 80's, who’d played the organ for that church for many, many years. She no doubt knew every key and pedal on that old organ frontwards and backwards. She saw me and stopped playing. I asked her if she was playing for any particular reason. Her response has stayed with me to this day. Miss Aziele said, "No, I just come down here every week for an hour or so to practice.   I always want to give my best."   After playing for so many years, one could easily assume Miss Aziele wouldn’t feel the need to practice on her own time, but she wanted to "give my best." What a lesson she taught me that Thursday afternoon.

Every Sunday, our sanctuary at our current church is beautifully adorned by one of our senior ladies. She’s done it for years, putting out seasonal flower arrangements, festive candles, etc., all in an effort to enhance our worship experience. Her work is rarely mentioned, most likely taken for granted, but not a week passes that she doesn’t spend her time quietly serving her God and our church with her efforts. She, like Miss Aziele, wants to always give her best.

I’m sure there are many in your churches doing likewise. So often the work of those in the spotlight gets our attention, but we need to appreciate those who serve in unseen ways. Think of someone you can encourage with a word of thanks that might not hear it otherwise. And as we contemplate this week, the holiest of weeks for the Christian, may we always remember the incredible sacrifice made on our behalf through Christ’s death on the cross, and as we do, may it inspire us to always give our best.

No comments:

Post a Comment