Saturday, March 3, 2012

Very Pinteresting....

Like millions of Americans, someone in our two person household has been hooked "Pinterest" for some time now. I admit, that other than posting a couple pictures for my somewhat technically-challenged wife, whom I adore so much (in case she’s reading this), I don’t know a whole lot about Pinterest. Near as I can tell, the site is a virtual bulletin board of things that someone might be interested in. It’s like telling the world, "HEY, I LIKE THIS...HOW ABOUT YOU?" The site's mission statement is to "connect everyone in the world through the 'things' they find interesting" I think that’s kind of neat, but I haven’t taken the plunge, just yet.

It’s fascinating the ever-changing world of communicative technology we live in. Back in the early 90's, on our first home computer, we stumbled across a small internet auction site. I remember thinking that this Ebay thing could really take off, if they could just get their message out. I think it’s safe to say that the message got out just fine. Ebay, Yahoo, Google, Pinterest...what’ll be the next big thing?

Like it or not, we’re all affected to one degree or another by the world around us. As Christians, we have to make decisions practically on a daily basis of what we’re going to participate in and what we’re not.

1 John 2:15 tells us:

"Do not love the world or the things in the world..."

Does this mean we’re to avoid all participation in things this world has to offer? I don’t believe so. I think the key word is love. Do not love the world. We have to draw a line when the things of this world become more important than our spiritual relationship.

Jesus said the greatest commandment of all is to "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind." We have to all ask ourselves are we truly fulfilling that commandment and, is there anything the world has to offer coming between ourselves and the Lord. That would be the definition of loving the world, least wise how I would see it...now, if you’ll excuse me, an auction on Ebay’s about to end and I want to get a last second bid in. Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment