Saturday, December 17, 2011

Coincidentally Speaking?

When it comes to chance occurrences, with which belief are you more closely aligned? Are you a believer that "everything happens for a reason?" Or do you believe in occurrences being "pure coincidence?" Let me state up front, I’m not in the first group, thinking there is a some reason, beyond the obvious, that all things happen. Some things just happen. That said, I am of the belief that God can use all things for His good. That’s an easy thing to believe because the Bible tells me so. Romans 8:28 states, "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him..." Coincidences do occur, and God often takes them beyond merely being coincidental to what we might think are divine appointments. Let me share an example...

We were at a crowded amusement park a week or so ago, waiting for the highly anticipated Christmas light show parade, one of the primary reasons we’d gone. Seating was at a premium, as there were literally thousands crowded along the parade route, waiting for the show to begin. We’d staked out a park bench, where Teri sat holding our spot while I went to fetch us much needed food and drink. Upon returning with the refreshments, I found Teri sitting on the bench with another couple, with whom she was now sharing our bench. She was deeply engrossed in conversation with the woman, each sharing stories about having long distance grandchildren relationships, that sort of thing. I was introduced to the couple, then sat down on the end of the bench enjoying my cheeseburger, eagerly watching for the parade. As I overheard Teri’s conversation with the woman, I began to hear tidbits of familiarity. They were from a town that I was familiar with, retiring from 50 years in the ministry. I listened more closely. Other facts began to ring more bells. Then, it occurred to me that I’d read a feature story about this very couple in a local newspaper about 6 weeks prior, and now, here we were, sharing this park bench amongst a throng of people, any of whom could have shared that spot. Coincidence? I think not. Having known their story, I had an instant respect and yearning to hear more. During the course of the next hour or so, we visited with them and heard them chronicle the various aspects of their 50 years in service to our Lord. It was inspiring. We exchanged email addresses, and we’ve already made two or three contacts with each other. Sheer chance meeting? I doubt it. While I don’t think everything happens for a reason, I do believe God puts people in our lives for a reason. This Christian brother and sister didn’t just plop down coincidentally on that park bench that night. And, if they came along just for the inspiration of that moment, then that was reason enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment