Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Come Home this Thanksgiving


My college basketball career was nothing to write home about. My freshman year I played for a small college in Salina, Kansas. I have few memories of that year. We traveled from school to school, playing other small schools in Kansas, Colorado, and Nebraska. One prevailing memory that came out of those games...I wasn’t home. I missed the cheer of the hometown crowd. These were meaningless games played in front of, to me, meaningless people. I longed for the times when my parents and friends were cheering me on. I realized I needed to go home.

The next year, I did just that. I signed a scholarship offer to play for Fort Scott Junior College, my hometown school. Now, at the time, I didn’t really realize the significance of what I’d done. You see, I was the only one on that team from Fort Scott. We played our games in the same gym where I’d played my high school games. The rest of the team was from places like North Carolina and Florida. Much like my freshman year, they were playing in front of strangers. But these were my people, my surroundings. That first game at home there was a fairly large crowd in attendance.

I started the game on the bench, being the team’s sixth man, or first substitute. About five minutes into the game, the coach called for me to enter the game. What happened next was the highlight of an otherwise forgettable college career. When the horn blew and I walked out on my home court, a rather large ovation came from the stands. I looked up in the crowd and many were standing, clapping. I have to admit, initially I had no idea what the commotion was about. But then, a tinge of emotion came over me as I realized the crowd was telling me "welcome home."

As Thanksgiving approaches, many of you will no doubt go to a place you call home. Maybe it’s a house you grew up in. Or perhaps it’s just going to be with the people that mean the most to you, wherever they might be. Quite possibly, like at our house this year, those people will be coming to see you. Home is not the structure you live in. A house provides shelter. A home provides warmth, love, togetherness. You could go to any house on Thanksgiving and sit down, eat, watch football, etc., but if it doesn’t feel like home, it will be a rather hollow experience. We tell new comers to our house to "make yourself at home," wanting them to feel welcome, a part of something.

In the Matthew 11:28, Jesus said "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." Thanksgiving gives us that opportunity to come home. Come home to the loving arms of family, yes, but also come home to Jesus, refocusing on a spiritual relationship that perhaps we’ve disregarded lately. Take time to realize all the many things that we should truly feel thankful for...the bountiful life that God has provided...the riches of having loved ones gather near. And most importantly, recognize the incredible Love that provided our salvation...warmth beyond comparison.

Whether you are going somewhere else or staying where you live this Thanksgiving, may you feel the warmth of home.

Come home, come home,
Ye who are weary come home;
Earnestly, tenderly, Jesus is calling,
Calling O sinner, come home.

No comments:

Post a Comment