Thursday, October 27, 2011

Going My Way?

At a funeral once, I heard a Frank Sinatra ballad played that was an effort to sum up the deceased’s life. You’ve heard the song, no doubt. The first stanza or so goes:

  And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain.
  My friends, I'll say it clear; I'll state my case of which I'm certain.
  I've lived a life that's full - I've traveled each and every highway.
  And more, much more than this, I did it my way.

Let me first say that this isn’t a critique of what is a American standard in popular music. It does, however reflect an attitude of self dependence that we admire, perhaps too much. Oh, we love to watch John Wayne single handedly whipping the bad guy, Clint Eastwood sticking it to the man, or Rocky Balboa lifting himself up from mediocrity to incredible heights. But in reality, those are characters of fiction not fact. While part of us likes to think of ourselves as self-made men and women, in reality, we’ve all relied heavily and continue to need the help others. To think otherwise is just plainly and simply a matter of pride. More importantly, we should always seek out and lean heavily on God in our daily walk. To do otherwise is not only foolish, but sinful as well.

The Bible is full of passages that tell us of our need for God’s support in our lives. Here are several:

It is the Lord who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not fail you or forsake you....(Deuteronomy 31:8)

I sought the Lord, and he answered me, and delivered me from all my fears. (Psalm 34:4)

Unless the Lord builds the house, those who build it labor in vain. Unless the Lord guards the city, the guard keeps watch in vain. (Psalm 127:1)

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.(Matthew 11: 28)

I certainly have had times, in fact years, when I conducted my life as I saw fit, ignoring God’s avenues of guidance at every opportunity. Those are the times that I experienced the most turmoil in my life, the times when I made emergency calls to God for assistance. He’s a loving God, though. He never reacted with the attitude that I’d gotten myself in the mess, so He’d just let me get myself out. No, it was always with His incredible love that He’d lift me up again, dust me off from life’s travails, and set me off on the right course.

What page in life’s hymn book are you turned to? What tune is playing in your head as you walk through life? Could it be I Did It My Way? Take my advice and change the song to Leaning on the Everlasting Arms!

No comments:

Post a Comment